31 December 2011

Phew!

We survived!

It's 11:59 on New Year's Eve Eve. The wind has been blowing so hard for the last 45 minutes that I thought my house might actually blow over. Since moving to this frozen tundra (which is just a slightly higher elevation than the rest of the world around us), I have realized that our weather is a bit more extreme.

When everyone else has had dead ugly grass, we have still had snow on our grass. It only melted just within the last 2 days since the record 50 degree December heat wave we've had. During the last few cold weeks, we've had frost that is so frozen to our driveway in the mornings that when we get home from work, our tracks are still there.

The wind was so bad I was watching our light pole out Molly's window and it was waving back and forth. Our neighbors Christmas blow up lawn decorations must be staked in with cement because they were whipping around like those freaky blowy things you see at gas stations, shaved ice stands, and used car sales.

James and Molly are both sound asleep and I just finished watching "Midnight in Paris" by myself. James and I attempted to watch it a week ago and both fell asleep in the middle of it. It was interesting. I liked seeing the sights of Paris. It was definitely a weird artsy Woody Allen movie and I'm not sure what the point was, but at least it didn't put me to sleep this time.

. . . and at least the wind stopped blowing and now I know my house won't blow over in case of a hurricane.

Update: It's now 12:10 a.m. and I just went and checked out Molly's window again. It's sad to say, but the blow up lawn decorations at the neighbors are nowhere to be seen. It's possible that the neighbors came outside and rescued them in the last 15 minutes, but I think they may have perished. May they rest in peace. They fought a good fight.

Let's just go ahead and make this the last post of the year, shall we?
Happy New Year Everyone!!

No comments: