26 December 2011

Most Wonderful Time of the Year #5

Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat . . . . Christmas is over and we didn't eat a goose, but we do an excellent job of eating everything else and therefore are probably more fat than we were a month ago.

Anyway . . . Here are the final Christmas season highlights.
  • On Monday, December 12th, we had are Petersen-Howden-Binggeli Christmas Party. We went to the new Brick Oven restaurant in North Provo (aka South Jordan) and then traveled to midtown Provo (Thanksgiving Point) to see the drive-thru lights display. The little kiddies all piled in my mom's truckster and the 4 big boring married ones piled in Annie's car. We later returned to North Provo (Annie's house) for hot chocolate and cookies. It was a fun night! (picture stolen from Annie)


  • On December 17th, two family parties overlapped on the same evening. Our annual
    Petersen family was at my aunt Karen's this year and our annual Huber Progressive Party was also the same night at my Aunt Jackie's and my Uncle Dee's. The Petersen Party was great! Karen fixed us french dip sandwiches, we made wooden block ornament crafts, and everyone generously handed out gifts to be opened on Christmas (since we aren't all able to make to to Christmas breakfast anymore). When that party ended, Molly was hanging in there ok (and wanted to ride in my mom's truckster) so we headed to my Uncle Dee's for the tail end of the Huber party. We tasted the remains of Chloe's authentic lasagna recipe from Italy, bruschetta, and other yummy things. It was a good night.
  • On Christmas Eve we had our traditional turkey feast, nativity program, and sing along at my Grandpa Huber's house (photo stolen from Natalie). Annie and Ross added beef to this year's menu and it was delicious. It was a little sad to not have my grandma there. Ok, it was a lot sad (not the party, it was fun, but just the whole season). I've had several melt-downs during the last month (perhaps enhanced by my condition mentioned in the post prior to this). I miss her. I think I have defined Christmas by her presence (and presents, since I've helped with that end for many a years). Usually during the month of December I spend hours and hours at my Grandma's helping with Christmas preparations. My time has been shortened a bit since being married and then adding Molly, but this year I really felt left out without that extra responsibility. Christmas consumed my Grandma from August to December and as much as my Grandpa tried to keep it all the same . . . I just miss her . . . . but I'll move on because the screen is blurry and my nose is running.

  • On Christmas Day we woke Molly up to play with all the cool things Santa Claus brought her, then we headed to 9:00 a.m. church with my mom, dad, and Willie. Molly wore a pretty Christmas dress with black shiny shoes. Next, we went to my parent's house for gifts and breakfast/brunch. Annie and her family came. James spent much of the time we were there Skyping with all of his family. Technology is pretty cool! He can talk to Germany, Kuwait, North Carolina, Idaho, Garland, and West Valley all at the same time (and with video). We at way too much! It was a great morning.

  • We then made a quick pit stop home to get out some rolls to thaw for our dinner later and to let Molly have a little bit longer nap in the car.
  • Next, we headed back to Grandpa Huber's for a brief visit. He had cards for everyone, socks, Sam's Club items, and gifts for the smallest kids (Molly included). Molly and I ate a few chips and dip while James loaded our car and then we went back home.
  • The Binggeli's were waiting for us when we got there. We visited, opened gifts, and then I fixed dinner. We topped it off with hot chocolate and a fruit cake type thing that Jason had sent from Germany to be eaten on Christmas. We had a great evening and Molly was an angel. Grandma and Grandpa Binggeli gave her a baby doll with a baby stroller and she pushed it all over the house all night long.


  • All in all we had a very nice Christmas. I think we were able to visit with just about everyone this holiday season. We love having our families around. It's a fun time of year. I'm always a little bummed when Christmas is over, but it really is my favorite time of year.

    Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

    No comments: