28 July 2015

Sick!

Holy cow! We have had major illness at the Binggeli house.  James brought it home first. He had a high fever, sore throat, and was pretty miserable for a few days.  Though James actually goes to a primary care doctor annually, the worst of his yuck hit him in the late afternoon, so he decided to go to Instacare.  The quick strep test was negative, but after looking at the puss pockets in his throat they decided to treat him for strep anyway and gave him an antibiotic.  He missed a day of practicum and a day of work, but then was finally on the mend.    

The following week Jack woke up one morning with a swollen, gooey eye. It wasn't pink eye (we've had that before), so I just thought we'd watch it. After a sleepless night and a day of high temperatures I couldn't get to break, I took him to Instacare one evening. The quick strep test was negative for him too, so we went home with the diagnosis of a viral infection and a blue popsicle.

He got worse. He was very grumpy, though he still wanted to play during the day.  Every night, though, he was awake, on fire, and miserable. One night, I couldn't get him to cooperate for anything, so I finally stripped him down, screaming, and put him in the shower.  I walked away for a second, came back and he was sitting on the floor of my shower, sprayer in hand, half asleep and just spraying himself narcoleptically in the face.  He wasn't well.  On day 6, he woke up with congestion and diarrhea. I took him in to our regular doctor, Dr. Havlik, but it was late in the afternoon before they could squeeze us in and Dr. Havlik was swamped after getting back from vacation so we saw another one in the office, Dr. Unger. She told us that jack had a positive culture for strep and should have been on antibiotics at least for the whole day before.  The Instacare had failed to call us and let us know that the culture was positive.  Grrrrrrr.....



To add insult to injury, or rather to add injury to insult, Jack took at beating by the swingset in the middle of his yuckiness and had quite a nice shiner to add to his puffy eye, sore throat, and hot head.



After a few days of antibiotics, Jack was finally doing better.  What was going to happen next?  Molly was going to get it!  After 2 sleepless high fever nights for her and a red, inflamed throat, I called the on-call doctor at our pediatrician's office (it was Saturday so we couldn't just go in). I thought that with our recent history, I could get an antibiotic over the phone and we'd quickly be on the mend with Molly.  No such luck!  Dr. Burton, this time, said they never prescribe antibiotics over the phone (even if two other members of the family have had the same symptoms and it is pretty obvious what is wrong).  We were back at the Instacare!  Hooray!

Lucky for us, the quick strep test actually came back positive so we didn't have to risk the ordeal of waiting out for who knows how many more days.  Molly is Molly and sickness is difficult for her, but luckily we caught hers before she got quite as miserable as her dad and brother.

We're done, right!  Everyone is better?!?  Ha!!

On Sunday, I started feeling worn out and had a headache.  Luckily, I had no fever or anything like that, but I could feel something coming on.  On Monday, I woke up with a swollen eye!  It was super weird and if I tipped my head over (like to pick something up off the ground) it throbbed!  I put some drops in it a few times during the day and that helped a little.  I thought I'd be ok.  During the night, however, Molly woke up to be re-drugged, and when she woke me up, I could tell something was very wrong with my eye.  It had swollen to triple the size of what it was the day before and it looked like it had a flotation ring around it.  Crazy!  I went to Instacare . . . again.  The doctor said it was an eye infection similar to pink eye, but the next step worse.  He said it could be related to what the kids had and he prescribed and antibiotic.

We are fortunately (knock on wood) all on the mend now!  But that . . . is our story.

If you include a dermatology appointment I also went to and a regular appointment James went to, the 4 of us visited a doctor's office 7 times in the month of July.  I can't wait to get those bills!!




No comments: