22 December 2014

Jack 2.5 year checkup

I am slow on blogging, but during the 1st week of December, Jack had his 2.5 year old checkup with Dr. Havlik.  It went fine.  He passed all of the developmental questions with flying colors.  

Stats:
Weight - 31 pounds 2 ounces (79th percentile)
Height - 37 inches (67th percentile)
BMI - 16 (42nd percentile)

Side Note: I am an average sized person in a family of big people, thus I often feel short.  James is an average sized person in a family of smaller people, thus often feeling very tall, but giving my kids super short genes.  I like tall and I hope my kids are at least my height (though I doubt they will be super tall).  Both of them started out as big, off-the-chart babies, but have become much more averaged-sized children.  I just want them both to be on the taller side of life.  Using the prediction that you double boys heights at age 2, Jack should be about 6'.  That's good.  Using the prediction that you double a girls height at 18 months, Molly will only be about 5'5".  Sigh. Maybe she'll stretch a big more than that.  It's ok. She'll survive even if she's short.

Back to Jack . . . 

The developmental milestones included things like kicking a ball, throwing overhand, using a certain number of words, putting on or taking off parts of clothing independently, walking up stairs without assistance, etc.

Doctor Havlik is, of course, very thorough (which is why we like him).  He said Jack looks perfect and was impressed with his verbal skills, but mentioned that he thought one of his eyelids didn't open all the way when he was getting him to follow a flashlight with his eyes.  I didn't really think much of this, but mentioned it to James and he thinks he has the same condition and so does his dad.  Weird.  

Otherwsie, Dr. Havlik did ask if Jack had any interest in using the bathroom and I said that we had tried it before and it didn't go so well.  He said that he finds the best strategy for boys is to say, "he won't be toilet trained until he's 5" and then be very pleasantly surprised when he does actually figure it out before then.

Jack was super cooperative.  Dr. Havlik is a good doctor.  




No comments: