31 July 2013

Train Day!

When we were little, every summer my mom would take us on an adventure on the UTA bus.  We'd catch it by the Reams in Magna and ride downtown.  We hang out all day, eat lunch, and then my dad would pick us up from work on the way home.  I thought about that today as we embarked on the day's adventure.  And then my mom texted me later to see where we were and said, "when you and Annie were little we rode the bus downtown to the ZCMI center.  You were probably Molly's age."  Great minds think alike.

We didn't ride the bus, though . . .

Molly loves to see trains go by and always reminds me that we rode a train "last night" even though we haven't ridden on one since Christmas time.

Today, the three of us loaded up, drove to the Gateway to park, got on the train, rode it to Temple Square, walked around Temple Square, walked through City Creek, ate lunch, walked through the Disney store, said hello to cousin Travis working at Deseret Book, got back on the train, back to the car, and came home.

It was a little stressful at times (as with most adventures with Molly), but overall a pretty fun day!  (And both kids fell asleep afterwards, so double bonus!!)



Waiting patiently to get on the train.  Molly had her "ticket" (a zoo Lego booklet she found in the stroller's basket) when she realized she'd left her other "ticket" (a University of Utah face tattoo cardboard) in the car.


Picture by the fountain.  We went in the South Visitor's center and Molly thought that was cool.  She asked questions about EVERYTHING as she ran from exhibit to exhibit. 


At the Disney Store, Jack chilled and watched the movies playing on the big screen while Molly colored a picture for a few minutes.

The only major issue of the adventure came when we were waiting for the train to go back to the car.  Trax specifically says that strollers are not welcome on the handicap ramp, so I folded my stroller and was carrying it in one hand, had my bag and Jack in the other arm, and Molly was waiting very patiently by the yellow line.  I think her left toe may have been touching the yellow line, though, I had already talked to her about this and she was being very cautious as she stood still watching the approaching train.

The train honked a couple of times.  This stuffy elderly couple standing next to us looked at me and said, "he's honking because she's in the way," just as I realized the train driver was giving me an ugly look and clasping his hands together, as if to say, "hold her hand."

Yes, I should have been holding her hand, but with what hand?  My third hand?  I didn't realize the train was honking at us because I was 2 inches behind Molly and coaching her, "stay there, wait for it to stop, etc."  I thought I was being a good parent and did not believe at all that she was in harms way, but I'll learn next time not to let her toes touch the yellow line.

In addition, when we were ready to get off the train, the driver came out of his box and told us to use the handicapped door.  I said, "I didn't use it because your sign says not to and I was following the rules."  He said, "Well, we can't refuse service to anyone and you should have used it.  Now you know."  Ok!?!  Despite my annoyance, in hindsight, I am glad they are extra safe around the Trax trains.  Had my mother been with me, she probably would have been yelling at me to hold Molly's hand, too.

No comments: