07 June 2011

Summer So Far (post #1)

On Monday, Meranda and Parker tended Molly for a little bit while I went to a Community Council meeting at school. I had to give a brief pitch for continuing funding for 2 math programs at my school - an aide in our low end classes and the after school math lab. The meeting went well. The tending part went well, too. Parker had a nice nap on our couch and Meranda took good care of Molly.

We mowed our lawn on Monday. We went for a walk Monday night and Molly fell asleep in the stroller.

We went for another walk on Tuesday morning. A little dog came out of nowhere and barked at us. It startled me, but Molly giggled. I thought of this incident later tonight because despite being fearless and laughing at the dog, tonight she was frightened and screamed at . . . a leaf. It was the weirdest thing. An old, dried up, crinkled leaf. She pick up pieces of it, then drop them on the ground. The breeze would move them and she'd scream. It was actually kind of funny, but I felt bad she was so petrified. I'm not sure if she thought they were animals attacking her or what.

Earlier today we also took Uncle Willie and Cousin Parker to meet Annie and the boys at the Aquarium. It was . . . the Aquarium, but the boys liked it. I just went for lunch.

Tonight we had the missionaries to dinner. I thought they were going to be sister missionaries. James' work schedule is so sporadic that when I saw we had a chance to feed sister missionaries, I signed up. That way, if he wasn't home, I could still feed them. Wrong. They were elders. It was fine. They were nice. But, I felt bad that they had to sit outside for 20 minutes or so while we waited for James to come home. We had barbecued chicken, butter and herb pasta, salad, and rolls. It was good. Molly warmed up a little by the time they left.

One of the elders, Elder Rosario, is from Puerto Rico. As soon as he came through the gate, I said, "I think you've eaten here before." He actually came to our house on his first day in the mission field (and ate my food and survived). He's now been out 18 months and has returned to this area as the district leader. He has 2.5 years of school in Puerto Rico under his belt, in mechanical engineering, and when he left on his mission, he was the only active Church member of his family. Now, he said, since he's been on his mission, his parents and a few of his siblings have been reactivated and his mom is even serving as the Relief Society President! Cool!

That's our vacation so far.

Oh, and James likes to watch this show called "The Voice." It's okay and there are some talented people on it, but this lady named Beverly . . . she scares me . . . and Christina Aguilara needs to wear more modest clothing.


1 comment:

mom bing said...

On Saturday James put a dryed up flower next to Molly and she didn't like it at all, but the ant that was crawling on her didn't even bother her. How funny!!