02 July 2009

What do you do with a duck?




There is a duck living in our flower beds, between the daisy and the columbine. I don't know what to do. I think it's building a nest. I tried to call animal control, but they sent me on a phone scavenger hunt that ended up with someone's voicemail and no one has called me back yet. There is a slight odor to it, not normal to my yard. No, it's not dead. You can see it breathing, but it doesn't move otherwise. I tried to scare it away like I would a cat, but it doesn't budge.

I was reading up on ducks and they lay one egg per day for 8-12 days and then they start sitting on the nest. They sit on the nest for 25-30 days, then the ducklings hatch and within a few more days they leave to find water.

I don't know if I really want a duck living in my yard for that long if that is indeed what is happening. It kind of freaks me out. I can feel its presence.

James said he had seen it before, but I saw it for the first time on Sunday. We were having a barbecue for James' birthday and the poor duck was freaking out because it couldn't get into our yard. It kept flying up to the fence, looking at us, and leaving.

I haven't seen any eggs, so I'm not sure what's going on. Any ideas????

No comments: