28 December 2014

It's A Small World in Lithuania


When I got home from church today I saw that there was a text from Jame's sister Alicia and here is the picture from the text!  It totally made my day.  I, of course, forwarded it to my mom and sister and they loved it too!

The crazy thing about this photo is that the woman and her daughter who are in it were totally with my brother on Christmas and came in to talk to us briefly while Skyping.  How crazy is that!!!

So here's the story.  Basically, Alicia is visiting with Stacy and her family in Idaho.  Stacy has a brother named Jess who served a mission in Lithuania.  He was talking to some members who he has remained in contact with and they knew my brother.

Here is a completely made up version of the conversation as I imagined it:

Jess: Hey, I'm talking to people from Lithuania
Alicia: Hey, my sister-in-law's brother is there. 
Jess: Oh, that's cool!
Alicia:  I wonder if they know him.
Jess: I don't know.  Let me ask.  . . . . Hey look!  They do!  They just sent me this picture of him!
Alicia: Wow, that is the coolest thing I've heard all day.  Text me that picture so I can send it to Haley.

Their names are Svitrigaile and Rimute!

In other brother news, not only did we get to talk to him this week, but we also got to open the package he sent to us all!

The kids got some weird bobbly-rock toys, a candy bar, and a squishy thing.
James, Ross, and my dad got a Lithuanian tie.
My mom, Annie, and I got Lithuanian scarves.
Each family - Petersens, Howdens, and Binggelis - got an official Lithuanian family banner, a cd, and a chocolate bar.



The significance of the banner is that people use them for weddings, funerals, and other special occasions.  Willie had them made at a banner shop for us!  They are pretty neat!

No comments: