26 October 2014

$$ Money $$

This is an old post I started writing a long time ago.  I found it and thought I'd publish it . . .


I've been thinking a lot about money lately.  I've had several conversations at work and with family members about finances.  It's tax season.  James just got accepted into a Masters of Nursing program at the U and I'm not sure how the finances of that will pan out.  James and I are far from perfect and we (I) tend to splurge too much at the dollar bins at Target and on french fries, but I think we do pretty well for ourselves and are able to live comfortably.

Here are Haley's "Top 10 Financial Pieces of Wisdom:"

10.  Spend less than you earn.

9.  Don't be afraid to take on extra work for extra pay.

8.  Debt is bad.  Use it for houses and maybe for cars.  Otherwise, try to save up and pay cash.

7.  Buy things you need.

6.  Buy things you WANT, but only if you have planned well for it and made sure that it is not detrimental to your needs.

5.  By used books, movies, etc.  Use groupons and coupons.  Buy generic brands.  Buy some of your kid's clothes on sale and off season.  (We buy movies and books from Amazon used and we've bought a stack of children's books from the D.I. on more than one occasion.  I have a stack of clothes for each of my kids to grow into.  They are mostly from the sale racks at Target and Kohls or from super sales online at the Children's Place.)

4.  Do your homework.  If it is an expensive item or a vacation, spend hours, days, or even months scoping it out before you buy it.

3.  Get a good enough education/training to find a job that will support you and your family.  Don't take out a loan for your education either.  Work to make it work.

2. Put money into your savings as if you are paying a bill.  I have money from my check automatically deposited into savings each month.  You won't miss it if it becomes automatic and your savings will grow.

1.  Always pay your tithing first and things will work out in the end.

That's it!
$$$$$$$$$$  $$$$$$$$$$$  $$$$$$$$$$