11 April 2014

New Orleans Day 2

I really am here at a math conference.  It is just not as interesting to post pictures of my notes and hand-outs as it is to post pictures of life outside the conference center.  I struggle with statistics and I have tried to go to a couple of statistics sessions, but this one was really boring.  The way we took samples, was interesting, though.  The woman presenting had these custom-made sampler paddles and a bucket of 10,000 bb pellets.


After the conference was over for the day I hopped on the street car. I thought it would be a fun little ride while I decided what to do for the evening.  It was crowded because it is the weekend of the French Quarter Music Festival and the street car drove 100 yards and stopped for 10 minutes to load and unload people.  I got a text from Robin from Arizona who I'd met the night before and got off the trolley and headed back to my room to drop-off, reload and meet up for dinner.



We tried to find an authentic, but non-fish place to eat for dinner, but when we asked some local girls, they steered us to an oyster bar.  We're weren't sure why they told us to go there, so we decided to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe across the street.  After dinner we headed to Preservation Hall and got in line to get in for a performance there.  My mom recommended this place from her trips to New Orleans.  It is a place that was established to keep the original old-timey Jazz alive.  It is way cool!


After the show I bought a cd from this guy who introduced the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and then sold the merchandise after the show.  He had dinosaurs on his shirt.  I told him I liked the dinosaurs on his shirt and his said thank you.  He told me it was his favorite shirt because it is difficult to find dinosaur print on shirts that aren't intended for children.  He gave me a free cd on top of the one I already bought.  The blonde lady purchasing something else is my new friend Robin, from Arizona.


After Preservation Hall we made one more stop for beignets at Cafe du Monde.  They were delicisous!

No comments: