01 April 2014

Grandpa Update

Grandpa is in week 2 of his stay at the Legacy Care Center.  We try to stop by for a visit about every other day or so.  He just kind of sits in his room, except for physical therapy once a day and church on Sundays.  I asked him if he wanted to go for a walk (or a push in the wheelchair, rather) down the hall and he said no, he was fine.

He had a problem with a catheter and it seems to have gotten better.  He no longer has the catheter and is able to take care of that part on his own now.  His neck seems to be fine.  He says he's not really in pain, but the brace just obstructs his ability to do a lot of things.  He has another swallow test sometime this week.  That will be the big thing.  He hasn't eaten anything for 2.5 weeks.  For me, I think I would be going insane wanting something sugary or greasy, or anything with flavor.  I asked him if he craved anything and he said, "no."  His voice is pretty well back to normal, which I hope is a good sign that maybe his throat is healing, but nurse James (always the realist, or pessimist, whichever way you look at it), says elderly people sometimes never heal from this swallowing problem.  Sigh.  I hope my grandpa is not one of those people.

We took him a word search to do.  He said he was worried his brain was getting mushy.  I've never seen my grandpa do a word search in my whole life.  We'll see if he does it.

We just keep him in our prayers and hope for the best.

No comments: