24 September 2013

Neighborly wisdom

I just had an interesting conversation with my neighbor.  She is a single lady, probably a little older than our parents. She has 4 grown kids and a grandchild.  She moved here from Ogden to be closer to a couple of them, but doesn't see them very often.

Anyway . . . Here is what I learned.

She only had children because she thought it was her moral obligation.

She didn't take to parenting like "a duck takes to water. "

When she meets Jesus, she'll tell him she did the best she could, but at least she did her duty to multiply and replenish the earth.

I shouldn't have any more kids until Jack is at least in kindergarten.

Two kids is the maximum anyone should have without a supportive husband. Her's just "sat on his duff all the time" while she worked, did the baths, and the homework.

Jack must have missed a nap and probably needed to go to bed early.

. . . I think that's about it.

She was out in her driveway tonight applying a sealant to the concrete. The kids were running around the cul de sac and I did have to grab Jack out of the road a few times, but I thought my kids were being good.

I don't know if her comments were a reflection of my parenting skills or if she just needed to talk to someone.

I have had a couple other conversations with her since she's moved in and they have all had similar tones.

Oh well. Good thing I am not having another child today, so I can think about that kindergarten thing.  And, even though James was mad at me, he did clean up dinner while I was outside with the kids.  That's good that he wasn't sitting on his duff, right?

1 comment:

Brooke Imlay Scheurer said...

I know "LOL" is passe. But truly, this post had me laughing out loud.