29 April 2013

It's Not Much

 . . .  But it's a start.

We got a load of dirt (6 cubic yards) on Friday and spent all night Friday and most of Saturday moving it out of the driveway and into the flower beds, the garden, and what was left went on top of the wall.  James moved most of it and I was responsible for smoothing it out and putting it where I wanted it.  I was also responsible for the children.  Molly and all the neighbor boys (who came like magnets to the dirt pile) took turns throwing dirt at each other.  Jack was in heaven just to be outside, but mad because he had to stay by mom.  He loved playing in the dirt, though.  Both of them left dirt rings in the bathtub Friday night.

On Saturday we bought a few flowers.  I just planted some pansies and some little blue flower ground cover.  I think it is still to early for petunias or geraniums.  I'll just buy a few things at a time and get them planted.

Out of 50 tulip bulbs, I only had about a dozen come up with stems this year.  I don't know if they froze or what happened, but they started coming up and then the leaves just turned sickly.  They were great last year, so I don't understand what went wrong.  (I took this photo with my phone last night and today the dozen or so tulips did actually bloom and look really pretty).

James was sore and tired today from moving all the dirt.  I was sore and tired from moving an enormous rock from the back yard to the front yard (and then being up all night with Molly because she couldn't breath and therefore couldn't sleep).

I think this time of year is my favorite.  I love the anticipation of summer, the warmer weather, and a chance to work in my yard.  It is fun to get going on it this year!

No comments: