08 November 2008

Today

Today was Grandma Petersen's funeral. It was a very nice, peaceful service and a beautiful day. All who participated in the program did a nice job. I'm sure my Grandma would have been proud of all of us!
We love you and will miss you dearly, but we're happy to have the knowledge that we will see you again.
My Mom and Dad at the Cemetery.

LeeAnn, Karen, and Aunt Deloris at the Cemetery.

Pallbearers

Best looking Pallbearers

Uncle Bob, Aunt Deloris, and Paul


Many of my family members wrote great tributes to Grandma on their blogs this last week. I started to do that Monday night, but I just couldn't get any words out. I have tried to go visit Grandma at Highland Care once a week since she's been there, but I felt really bad that I did not make it that one more time before she left. I don't feel bad that I didn't see her the weekend she was going, but I feel bad I didn't see her in the days before. I can't worry about that now. I just need to focus on all of the times I did visit. Oh well.


The last time I talked with Grandma was two weeks before she passed. Our conversation, for the most part, was pretty typical. I asked her for advice on what refreshments I should plan for my sister-in-law's bridal shower. We agreed that just simple cookies or brownies would be the best. She asked how James was doing in school. She asked how Murray was. She was concerned with some decisions James and I had recently made concerning his job and she was worried whether we would be okay or not. We talked about her house. I told her James' sister had taken her old, gold couch and was much appreciative. Grandma told me that the old gold couch was a very nice couch that she had custom built. It wasn't just any couch from any furniture store. It was hand built on a sturdy frame and was made to last a long time.


I also worked out the plans for a "special project" that Grandma and I were going to do. She was a little overwhelmed with the task and didn't know whether or not she could do it, but she thought that it was a good idea, was glad I had come up with it, and said she was willing to try. She asked me to put it in her closet so that if any other visitors came, it would be put away. As it turns out, she didn't quite get to the project in the two short weeks she had left. I had my dad bring it home from the care center. I'm not sure what to do now with it, but I'll try to come up with something.


As we talked, I hadn't even noticed the time. When I finally looked at the clock, it was 4:25. Grandma went to dinner promptly at 4:15, so I felt bad we hadn't been watching the clock. I walked her into the dining room and told her goodbye and gave her a hug. As I left I told her I would see her later. I heard her ask the woman across the table from her what was for dinner. The woman shouted, "Split pea soup." Grandma said, "Not again! We just had that yesterday."


Grandma, I guess you don't need to worry about the soup anymore.





3 comments:

japetersen said...

Very nice -- you are a very excellent granddaughter!
Love, Mom

Annie said...

Haley - this was very nice. You always did such a good job taking care of grandma.

I'd love to see more of the pictures you and James took yesterday. What you put on the blog is really nice.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thanks again for the great stuff your grandmother gave me. The couch really is awesome! Your fam is so nice :) it was great to finally meet some of them.
Alicia