09 August 2011

Overwhelmed

When I was a little kid I had extreme anxiety about going to school. It wasn't pretty. When I say, "little kid," I mean from 1st grade up through about high school and beyond. So what did I do to relieve this extreme school anxiety that I had (besides perhaps some medication)? I became a school teacher. What was I thinking??????

This year (this week, in particular) the anxiety is beginning to maximize. I don't really know why, but I start having a million thoughts a minute about things I need to do for school, things I should have been doing at home all summer, but still haven't, things that will be new this school year. It is scary. To ease my thoughts a bit, it is sometimes healthy to write them down in a journal (or on the internet for the whole world to read).

Positive things to look forward to:
  • Teaching Concurrent Enrollment Math
  • Teaching U.S. History again
  • Double blocking our lower level kids again and working with Mr. Berg
  • Having Molly as my carpool buddy on the way to school and taking her to a place where people love her, take good care of her, give her structure, socialization, and cool art projects
  • No more Master's Degree Classes (still waiting for my final grade and then degree to post, though)
  • I finally painted most of my outside fence that has been gross all summer. I just need to do the very bottom that gets chewed up by the weed eater.
  • A new house coming soon
Anxiety Ridden Things that make me Nervous:
  • Dropping Molly off at a place that is not with me at home
  • I need to do some touch-up painting in my house and I haven't done it yet.
  • Renting my house still scares me
  • Building a new house still scares me
  • I have to give a presentation next week in front of my faculty, I don't know how all this concurrent enrollment class stuff works, I didn't keep good records of how I taught U.S. History last year and I'm afraid I'll have to reinvent the wheel.
  • There always seems like so much more than is humanly possible to do in a few days to get my classroom, curriculum, etc. ready for a new year and I have zero desire to work on it at home. Oh well. Somehow or another it always comes together.

1 comment:

fivewoods said...

Breathe Deep......it will all work out!