16 February 2009

"Rules for Living"


Since Grandma Petersen passed away and my dad and his siblings went through her house, I have had a couple of boxes of things sitting on my bedroom floor. They were things I wanted to keep from Grandma's house, but have since just let sit on the floor. Since I had the day off today, I thought I would go through the boxes and try to put some things away. I came across a "Dear Abby" column that my Grandma had saved. It lists the "Rules for Living," by President James A. Garfield. I thought I would share them:

-Never be idle.
-Make few promises.
-Always speak the truth.
-Live within your income.
-Never speak evil of anyone.
-Keep good company or none.
-Live up to your engagements.
-Never play games of chance.
-Drink no intoxicating drinks.
-Good character is above everything else.
-Keep your own secrets if you have any.
-Never borrow if you can possibly help it.
-Do not marry until you are able to support a wife.
-When you speak to a person, look into his eyes.
-Save when you are young and spend when you are old.
-Never run into debt unless you can see a way out again.
-Good company and good conversation are the sinews of virtue.
-Your character cannot be essentially injured except by your own acts.
-If anybody speaks evil of you, let your life be so that no one believes him.
-When you retire at night think over what you have done during the day.
-If your hands cannot be employed usefully, attend to the culture of your mind.
-Read the above carefully and thoughtfully at least once a week.

1 comment:

mad dog said...

Wow, that is very neat! Thanks for sharing!