13 November 2008

Spirit = Puke

I've got spirit! Yes I do! I've got spirit! Watch me PUKE!

Today was the Spirit Bowl Assembly at Murray High School. Cyprus never really got into this much during my days there, although I often heard of things like it from my parentals. Basically, it is a rigged assembly full of strange and mostly disgusting contests, lots of who-can-scream-the-loudest, and a point scoring system which awards sophomores, juniors, and senior points for each contest, resulting in only seniors having any points at the end of the assembly.

I was not on "assembly duty," but I decide to drop by for 15-20 minutes to see what was going on and to get a taste of Murray culture. In that short time, here is what I saw.
  • 3 students duct-taped to the bleachers, hanging about a foot off the ground
  • 3 couples, each standing barefoot in adjacent storage tubs filled with ice, while biting one side of an orange, supporting it between two people
  • teacher trivia challenge (yeah, that was really exciting)
  • egg launching
  • 3 students chugging a gallon of food coloring dyed milk. Of course, puking was grossly involved here and no one even finished the whole gallon.
  • Fear factor. Spin a wheel to pick five things to blend up in soy milk and drink. The items on the spinner included sardines, pig's feet, mustard, peanut butter, onions, chile peppers, mushrooms . . . I don't know what else. One poor kid had to chew his. Yes, this also involved puking.

Overall, the assembly was well-behaved, well-organized, and moved quickly. I will NEVER understand, however, why anyone would voluntarily vomit to show your school pride. Can you explain this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you knew this but since the dawn of time man has been showing his pride through his vomit. Napolean did the gallon challenge, and finished it, to show his troops his superior skills! Look it up on wikepedia... it's true! ;)

Alicia