06 March 2008

Pay Pal Scam


So, I haven't used Pay Pal in just about forever, but lately I have been getting lots of e-mails from them in my junk mail. There seem to be 2-3 per day. The e-mail was "paypal.inc.com." They seem to be official. I finally decided to actually view one of these e-mails and see what it was about. It says "we need to verify purchase for $523" or something like that, or "suspicious activity in your account . . . . login to verify . . . . ."


I got a little worried. Was someone hacking into my dusty pay pal account and buying stuff? What's going on? The e-mails seemed official. They had the Paypal logo and the e-mail had paypal in it. Something seemed fishy, though.


Well, I wasn't dumb enough to click the link in the e-mail, but I did log in to my Pay Pal account separately. I couldn't remember my password, of course, but when I asked it to remind me, it sent a password change e-mail to my inbox, not my junk mail - another sign of something fishy.


Once in my account, I tried every avenue I could find to verify my own information and look at my account activity and history. Lo and behold . . . . no activity in my account for a very, very, long time. Hmmmmmm.


So why all the e-mails? I think someone's trying to scam me. What do you think?

No comments: